Saturday 14 May 2011

down to earth.

As I told my brother today, "my garden is going to be SO bitchin' this year."  (I believe 'bitchin' is a traditional word meaning 'garden of like, so many awesome plants.')  Gardening is the greatest because it confers not only short-term gratification, but long-term too.  You get to look at all the plants you just planted and do a little wiggle-dance every time you see them, AND you get to watch them grow all summer.  Gardens are the shit.

Today I planted some kind of drought-resistant thing called a salsa flower, which is representative of not only a delicious food that I put on my eggs (with avocado, too, of course) but also a pretty sexy dance.  Check!  I also planted bachelor's buttons, which is appropriate as I have sworn off boys for the time being and am enjoying my bachelorhood.  I planted a lot of those, as one is always better safe than sorry.  Lastly, I planted this really brightly coloured foliage-type deal called FIREPOWER or SUNFIRE or LITEBRITE or something like that.  I'm kind of a sucker for brightly coloured foliage, along with spiky grasses.  Spiky grasses, it must be said, are my jam.

Lastly, a word for xeriscaping.  Xeriscaping (zerah-scaping) is a method of gardening that encourages practices and plantings that require minimal water.  Living, as I do, in a semi-arid desert, xeriscaping is essential.  A few of my fave plants for dry regions are hens-and-chicks, any native wildflowers, and ornamental grasses. 

 
 
This guy knows where it's at, plus he goes to my uni.  Get out there and garden, people.  As Graham up there says, "you don't need that patch of kentucky blue to have your neighbours looking on like 'yeah, that's cool.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment