Saturday 11 January 2014

Brave Dispatches

Two nights in London, not a single funny story to be had. It was altogether nice, though.

I have this idea in my head, a mental catalogue called Things I Have Seen. I expanded it these last few days with a trip to the British Library and wanders around neighbourhoods I'd never bothered to visit before. I also ironed in a few old favourites - the Tate Modern, particularly, but a general rewandering around the grandly historic areas of London. For a history nerd like me, there's a distinct thrill to even just seeing objects or places once owned and inhabited by famous historic personages. Things I Have Seen, then, got a few highlights and underlines as I thrilled at Wordsworth's scribbles at the British Library and gaped at the statues in Trafalgar Square.

I've met my mother - she successfully navigated her way from Heathrow to Gatwick despite crutches and two different shoes. We're on a flight now to Marrakech - a city I doubt I'll be describing in words so soothing as "altogether nice."

As the title of this post (and obviously my future book) alludes, I'm clearly not the first person to ever go to London. I know I sometimes find other traveller's breathless reports of Mexican beaches or NYC cityscapes irritating - however, it's my belief that you're reading this because you'd like to be and therefore appreciate my posts on the day-to-days of travelling.  As such, I will proceed to blog, confident in the knowledge that I am indeed the first person ever to travel to London.  My brave dispatches will continue in this vein. 






PS. We're in Morocco now!

No comments:

Post a Comment