Saturday 19 February 2011

three cities/I dream in blue skies.

 Edmonton is, as the airport announcement put it, "bitterly cold."  Put on those overcoats.  I don't think I could ever live in the prairies.  It's too cold and too eerily flat.  On a more positive note, though, it has a sort of cultural warmth.  Something real radiates from Edmonton.  No one moves their for their image.

I'm in the Vancouver airport now, waiting for the last leg of my flight home to Kelowna.  Vancouver is extraordinarily sunny, and the mountains make my heart squeak.  I used to hate Vancouver, the product of too many family trips in drizzly grey weather.  I hardly know it, now, but I find myself proud to be an acquaintance. 

I'm heading home in an hour or so, back to the just-positive temperatures and family of Kelowna.  I think I'll be ready to leave one day, and I keep pretending I am.  I think I might be too rooted in family to really leave, but we'll see.  Kelowna affords me a sunny, idyllic life of running, hard work and good food.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment