Tuesday 17 April 2012

Songkran!


Sorry it’s been so long!  Jessica’s beloved computer is kind of giving up the ghost and we’re trying to extend its lifespan as long as possible.  Since we last spoke, Jess and I have been through Bangkok and Chiang Mai in Thailand before leaving for Luang Prabang in Laos, where we are now.  While I have great stories about all these places, Chiang Mai is the barstar of my heart.

I love New Year’s, which is lucky, because I’ve already been to three in 2012.  You’ve already heard about the first two – my messy and amazing Canadian party and the baffling but strangely fun Hindu New Year in Bali.  Now there’s Songkran, the Thai New Year. 

We were lucky enough to have our friend Nicole tip us off to the Thai New Year all the way back when we were in Australia.  We booked a hostel two months in advance, absolutely no idea what we were getting into.  Something about a water fight?  Uh, let me tell you.  Songkran is traditionally celebrated by Thais splashing each other with water to bathe off the past.  Obviously gently splashing each other with water quickly devolved into a week-long country wide water fight.  Chiang Mai is the epicenter of the action, and the fight is street to street, restaurant to restaurant.

Jess and I bought water guns, rented bikes, and spent seven days being entirely soaked as trucks drove around the town, their beds full of people with buckets trash cans of water.  Music blasted from downtown and the favourite game of everyone in the city was to find the bewildered western tourist and let fly.  Even the police had their possessions in little plastic pouches around their necks – apparently even a uniform and a gun isn’t enough to save you from a bucket of icy water.

Needless to say, it was extremely, extremely fun.  Sadly, we don’t have many pictures as the flying water made electronics a bit of a no-go.  We did take a few with our waterguns, though, including my beloved backpack gun.  If you ever get a chance to spend Songkran in Chiang Mai, go.  Pack your waterproof mascara, a pair of goggles, and every ounce of game you have.  I’m already jealous.

See you guys in less than a month!



also, we ate crickets, but that's a story for another time.

also, we rented a scooter, but don't tell my mom.

FIST IN THE AIR CAUSE I'M HAPPY

No comments:

Post a Comment