Wednesday 18 July 2012

hit the sauce shoot your boss

Yo what does everyone give but no one want?  ADVICE, DUH.  Sometimes I resent advice, just like all of us.  It feels condescending sometimes, no?  Unsolicited advice can be super untrill*.  On the other hand, sometimes advice is like woah.  Just what you needed to hear, yah?  Or what you kinda knew but really didn't want to admit to yourself.  Let's talk about this.

Moms are the captains of unsolicited advice.  Sometimes they're spot on.  I know mine is sometimes.  A few years ago, my older bro (the queen of responsibility / stay tuned for an olympics post soon!) said to me "You know, Jill, Mom is basically always right."  And shit it's true!  You all want to stay away from my mom because she's right a lot and if you don't think she's right she gets pretty mad.  Soooo anyways.  My mom gives lots of advice and it's usually pretty good, is what I'm saying.

"I don't want you liking any boys until you actually like Jillian Dean."

"You're a redhead.  You don't get to treat your skin like your Italian friends and think it's all the same."

"I don't think you should eat that."

And that was just dinner tonight!  Man.  Preach, lady.  My grandma is often full of advice, too.  She raised four popular kids so she's pretty street smart and knows how to party herself, too.  We spend a lot of time together, so she has lots of opportunities to lay 'em down on me.

"Drinking is a wonderful thing as long as you keep an eye on it."

"You know, your grandfather always used to say that you should never speed through a small town and I believe that, too."

"And as they say, UVic IS cheaper, but you would have been happy either way."

I appreciate hearing these things.  Sometimes advice really is someone else presenting THEIR opinions on YOUR shit, kind of as a way to control your life or pass judgement or something.  Other times though?  It's just older semi-wiser people passing on their own lessons.  Shit they learned along the road to oldness. Or medium-oldness (sorry mom).  I say take all the advice you can, put it in a giant pot and mash it around until something good comes out of it.  Or.  That's what I would do, anyways. 


someone just told him he should really consider veganism

*Trill is a new word I just learned cuz I'm really hip.  True and Real had a baby.  I just made untrill up, but it works, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment