Monday 15 October 2012

permutations and expectations

I have a fleet of friendships.

It might make it easier to create a graph, left right and centre with colours and categories.  (If you've ever seen my agenda, you know I love colours and categories.)

There's a few stragglers from elementary school and my early days.  One or two girls I still have genuine smiles for when I run into them at Christmas or when our parents have dinner together.  There for my first crushes (I've been boy crazy since day one) and for learning how to use mascara and staying up late reading comics.

Middle school brought me my best friend, a girl I know inside out.  She glares a frostily glowing princess glare at me from my wallet every day and I smile back at her every time.

Too many of my high school friends are now either mostly forgotten or friendly acquaintances but there's still a few friends I'd fight for.  You know the ones you have warmth for in your heartest heart even when you don't see them for months?  The Cheshire Cat, MirKat, and M. Pratt - they know who they are. 

University socked it to me with beautiful party girls who love nature and boys equally, an army of girls impossible to know and impossible not to know.  We were who we are and we loved every second of it, rolling as an unstoppable unit and leaving a trail of broken glasses and broken hearts in our wake.  I was and am inseparably a part of this foursome, fivesome, sixsome, tensome.

University brought me my boys, too.  My bestie straight-boy boo who knows who he is and tells me my failings without blinking and keeps me on the even every time. I'm not sure that anyone but us understands our friendship but it definitely depends on a mutual understanding of whiskey and beards.

Law school girls and boys are still just settling in through the cracks, a pressing and pleasant weight on my heart.  The warmth and vivacity is insane and the intellect on these people is unquestionable.  My tribe, absolutely, who can out-think and out-work anyone but always still have time for a glass of wine and laughter for days.

The others fit in here and there - the girls I've met at work over the years, travelling friends, my Americans and Australians and Spaniards and Belgians from exchange.  The girl at the grocery store who complimented my outfit and the girl next to me on the plane who was flying home for the same stupid reason as me.  Every single one of these people is a fibre of who I am (or maybe who I'm trying to become) and I am thankful every day for their existence.  If you're out there and I love you, I love you.  Thanks.


 
this was an era, am I right

the baby duck girl house has its first family photo





these girls always.



1 comment: