Tuesday 21 June 2011

countdown is on.

It's Canada day soon!  That means lots of engagement with our perceived national identity.  I focused a lot of my studies over the course of my degree on conceptions of nationalism and the formation of national feeling, so I tend to be a little suspicious of displays of Canadianism.  Sometimes, though, one just wants to forget school and get down and dirty with being Canadian.  Here are a few of my favourite methods:

1. Caesars!  The American version, a bloody mary, uses tomato juice instead of Clamato, which means they're all crazy.  I prefer my caesars with gin (obviously) and a pickled bean is the best garnish.  So divine, plus they're even red.  You should probably buy the 12oz bottle of gin and refer to it as a mickey, because we're also the only ones who do that.

2. Lululemon.  Um.  Lululemon isn't produced in Canada anymore, even, but it's still a Canadian company, so it's obviously crucial that I buy... some lululemon... to celebrate?  Yep, I think so.

3. Listen to all your favourite Canadian bands!  This includes Gordon Lightfoot, Buck 65, Arcade Fire, Coeur de Pirate, Ron Sexsmith, and Rufus Wainwright.  Radio 2 is my jam, obviously.

4. Use words that confuse Americans.  Wipe your face with a serviette.  Sit on your chesterfield.  Wear a tuque.  Use the washroom.  Lastly, eat a ton of food, including: butter tarts, nanaimo bars, crunchie bars, smarties, and poutine.  Now you're chubby and everyone else is confused.  Excellent start to your day.

5. Lastly, paint your darn face and get yourself to the fireworks and cheer your head off.  Yeah, it's kind of lame but the fireworks actually rock my socks off every year.  Plus you get to make yourself a crazy outfit, which is always a plus.


these are my feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment