Wednesday 6 June 2012

decision vision

Hola! To start off, it's worth noting that I'm in a better mood than I was last time I posted. As a particularly astute* reader noted, I wasn't at my happiest. As I've noted before, crappy poetry probably means :( while exclamation marks and emoticons are the silly signs of me at my brightest. Anyways, I'm back in action and I'm sorry for subjecting you to my cloudy mood.

Life decisions! They're tough, even for the most decisive of us (me, usually). As most of you know, I've been planning to head to Halifax to attend Dalhousie University's Schulich School of Law in the fall. I have an apartment and roommates planned out, and I just dropped my lease in the mail late Monday night. Then I got a phone call.

UVic had initially been my first choice school, but they broke my heart in the winter by choosing to waitlist me rather than offer me admission. It took a while to get over, but I eventually got excited about attending the equally well-ranked Dalhousie, a school that offered me both early admission and a small scholarship. Dalhousie wanted me, UVic didn't. It was that simple.

Well, as of Wednesday afternoon, it wasn't so simple anymore. Yes, UVic called me to offer me a spot. I knew they were going to call eventually - my LSAT and grades are above their entrance average and I know I'm a good candidate. I just thought it would be August before I heard, and that by that time it would be too much bother to change schools. But no, they called me yesterday, and now I have until tonight to decide.

So what should I do? Dalhousie means adventure and independence. The distance from home means I'll be forced to do things for myself instead of relying on a support network. That support network is definitely in place in Victoria. My older brother and his doll of a girlfriend live there, as do many of my friends. I've lived in Victoria in the past, and I know and love the city. Isn't that kind of a crutch, though? While safety nets are well and good for your standard circus act, sometimes you need to be the one tight-rope walking across Niagara Falls.  I think I'm ready for something new and daring and honestly kind of terrifying.

So. When I started this post I didn't know which I wanted. Writing about it, as always, has helped clarify things in my mind. Don't worry Dal, I'm coming for you. Or maybe you should worry.




*by astute I mean sexually attractive

No comments:

Post a Comment